Motor Vehicle Technician for Blackpole Trade & Save Autocentre
Service Technician/MOT Tester for Blackpole Trade & Save Autocentre
The TECHNICIAN job involves all or some of the following tasks:
- Analyses work orders carefully to understand a vehicle’s condition, the accuracy of the diagnosis, and what work has been agreed to.
- Determines which parts and tools will be required for a given repair or service and ensures their availability.
- Diagnoses and completes repairs on customer vehicles.
- Uses the computer to determine how long a given repair or service will take and keeps the Service Advisor or team leader informed of repair progress so that additional work may be scheduled.
- Conducts routine service on vehicles.
- Documents completed work orders to include the repairs conducted, the parts required, and the labour involved.
- Informs the Service Advisor and the Parts Department if a part needs to be ordered.
- Asks the Service Advisor and/or the Parts Department for clarification if a work order is not clear or seems incorrect.
- Performs complicated repair sequences according to established procedures.
- Writes on the work order the repairs completed, the parts required, and the labour to be charged.
- Documents any other vehicle problems noted during servicing.
- Interacts directly with customers to explain vehicle problems and the steps taken to correct the problems as needed.
- Ensures that all health and safety legislation and internal procedures are followed.
- Ensures the security of all inventory and analyses the quality of parts.
- Attends regular safety meetings to review work safety rules.
- Ensures the maintenance of tools, equipment, and other materials.
- Performs other reasonable activities from time to time.
The TECHNICIAN must have knowledge of:
- Automotive systems (e.g., understanding of basic vehicle layout, function, and location of parts).
- Parts requirements to complete a job, and the ability to communicate parts requirements via repair orders.
- Approved and established procedures for conducting service and repairs.
- The quality control and inspection requirements of the Service Department.
- The shop area and the availability of special tools that might be needed.
- New models and recent improvements through technical bulletins, training courses, technical magazines, etc.
- The manufacturer’s new and recent products.
- Car problems, warranties, services, and repairs.
- The retail motor industry and automotive systems in general.
- Retail/wholesale standards and adherence to those standards.
- Relevant local, national, and European regulations and laws pertaining to the automotive industry.
- Competitors’ services and repair price structures.
- Vehicle legislation, consumer legislation, and trade practices.
- The retail facility’s organisational structure.
What the work involves:
- Ability to work positively among other Technician and Service Advisors and to help them when needed
- A good work ethic, a positive attitude, and a strong desire to repair customers’ cars correctly
- Some contact with external customers
- Ability to pay close attention to administrative details
- High level of recordkeeping
- High level of detail-oriented paperwork (documentation of repairs, charges, etc.)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to write clearly and legibly and to listen and document items accurately
- A professional appearance and an enthusiastic attitude
- Work in a busy, active, lively environment
- Ability to manage own time and workflow
At Baylis, we’re committed to providing great rewards to the people who drive our success. Whether it’s taking care of your health, providing for your future or making sure your needs are met, The below Baylis benefits are available to all staff:
31 days paid holiday (inc bank holidays) rising by 1 day after each 5 years worked
Excellent pay package
Company Pension Contribution
Large modern showrooms and workshops
Free MOT and 50% Discount on Services
New & used car staff offers
Death in service Benefit
Free eye test, dental & therapy treatments
Up to £25,000 personal accident benefit
Online discounts at many popular shops
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £24,000.00-£28,500.00 per year
- Company pension
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability